Come Along with Meee to an Epic Journeeeyyyy - Week 2

Tuesday, January 28, 2014
This post came a little late as I have been trying to put it together all while researching different juicing recipes.

#Struggle

I have struggled with my weight for so long. I have went to doctor's, done the fad diets, the diet pills.  All the tips and tricks that anyone could possibly pull out of their pockets.
Nothing worked. It's because I wasn't really dealing with the issue.

I love food. I don't necessarily consider myself an addict. I just appreciate good food. Many of doctor diets and fad diets restrict your intake and make you count calories or points. You start doing well eating good foods. Then..you want something sweet. You check your daily tracker.  I still have 750 calories left!  I can do a candy bar. I can do chips..I can do a soda..   You then do the trickle effect where you start justifying EVERYTHING.  Take it from me folks. I was one of them.

So yeah, I can count calories and I can count points ..so what if I have a few candy bars..I am under my caloric intake for the day!!

See where I am going with this?

For some people, it works well and they have the whole calorie counting down (I have nothing against those that try and do) I just know they don't work for ME.

When I met with my personal trainer and the nutritionist at LFA, they made it simple.  Focus on putting good foods in and you really won't have to count calories.  AT first I was scared to do this. I even felt I was eating TOO MUCH. I was surprised that I was told I was possibly not eating enough. Making these changes, I feel better. I am not as tired at the end of the day. And I can tell in some small ways that I am physically changing.  I am eating were greens, tons of them! Spinach and arugula.  I am making more conscientious effort to make healthy lunches and dinners.  I listened to my trainer's advice
started upping the amount of protien I would have.  Good fats like avocados and cocounut oil are my fave to add to smoothies.  WHAT I am eating is food that isn't processed (for the most part).  Now mind you, Rome wasn't built in a day..nor was my pantry or my eating habits.  I am integrated organic and raw where I can (coconut sugar and raw honey instead of refined sugars - lower on the glycemic index).  I tend to indulge now and then. I ate sushi with friends of mine on Saturday.  I just changed what I ate throughout the day is all.  I had a smoothie for lunch which wasn't heavy, its good for you and held me over until our late dinner.

#Juicing

After watching a documentary called Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead (watch it on Netflix - great documentary).  It puts juicing in a new perspective.  After seeing how many fruits and veggies go into a serving of juice, I know I could never eat that many vegetables in a day.  In the documentary you meet Joe Cross and another gentleman who implement a juice fast into their lives and eventually they turn their lives around.  Mind you these changes did not happen overnight, nor did they sit around being couch potato. They took action, exercising a little each week and building up to an active lifestyle.

When I first heard about a friend of mine that wanted to juice,
I had my own apprehensions as it sounds like another fad diet.  In fact there are tons of them out there that sell an overpriced, over processed juice that you drink for 3 days and thats it! "You melt the pounds away." But when I watched said friend do his fast day to day and his transformation, it inspires you.  This was juice made at home, not crap from the store.  Using organic greens, fruits and vegetables to make into yummy health "potions".  (heh see what I did there?)

I am still reading, reasearching and learning more about juicing but I feel I have learned enough (and have a good 'mentor') to be able to complete my own juice fast. It's going to be a feat but I won't know if I don't at least try.  I am only doing 5 days.  When I sit and think about it now..Right now it feels like I am staring at Mount Hyjal (Wow Reference).  It's a mental barrier I have to get past. The mental barrier of chewing food.

Mount Hyjal - World of Warcraft

#juicefast

I have not been very 'public' on the fasting thing. I told a couple of people. Some were very supportive. Others- not so much. I would get the scrunched up look of scrutiny that just says "yeah right!".  I decided that I will note it here and hope that people can convey positivity. I think I can handle 5 days not chewing. One juice has so many fruits and veggies in it, it's really quite filling.

The way I view juicing, its a way to implement those soo good for you veggies but they taste way to weird to eat on their own.  the veggie I have in mind? Kale.  It's a luscious, green, leafy plant that has tons of nutrients.  It just tastes bitter to me. I tried to eat it by itself ewwwwwwwww.
But blend it with other vegetables and fruits and you don't even know its there (other than that pretty green color).

If you don't get enough fruits and vegetables in your diet daily, then having a serving of fresh juice can help you do that.  Even if it's just one glass a day. Hey it beats carrying tons of containers with me to work and eating on vegetables and fruits non stop.  I'm not saying stop eating veggies, drink them always.  It's just added benefit if you do drink a juice daily.

Why a juice fast?
I'm sure the blog gave it away...Yeah I am sure I will lose some weight. I am changing my food intake for a week! I have wanted to try a fast ever since seeing the documentary.  I finally got over the hurdles (mentally) and feel I have the mentality to complete 5 days.  A cleanse, detox, clearing the chute, releasing negative 'vibes' whatever you want to call it. I just want to get the "taste" of processed foods out of my system and retrain the taste buds to want better things.  Although, I don't like saying cleanse because when I say that, people automatically should out some Hollywood doctor's diet. Nooooo.  I want to find out for myself if the results are true. Whats the worst thing that will happen...turn into a plant?!
I will start my 5 day journey on Saturday Feb 1 through Wednesday, Feb 5.  I am excited and nervous. This is the biggest thing I have tried to do for my health benefit. It is the biggest challenge to my willpower.

I will post my favorite juice recipes on next weeks blog!

Give a share, like, comment, constructive criticism or all of the above!  More feedback, more I want to continue!


0 comments:

Post a Comment